Saturday, July 20, 2024

Rowan's Ravine

It's half past eight,
the grass is catching its breath after a long day,
July's fierce sun is simmering down.
My legs half-soaked
under silk sheets of water,
wet sand kissing my toes,
soft pebbles tickling my feet.
A prairie breeze swifts by,
carrying me away to the
golden light at the edge
of the horizon as it sinks
beneath the blue.

Here,
I throw myself into
the arms of my favorite lake
and dissolve like a grain of salt.
I feel my heart floating, my skin
breathing, and for a few
fleeting moments, I let go
of all the weight off
my chest, my shoulders.

Here,
I ponder how the sand,
the water, the pebbles
never tire of all the feet,
the toes, the hearts
that have been here,
and will come here
a thousand sunsets from now,
just to feel alive
in the arms of
their favorite lake.

by Abdulsalam Abo Al Shamat

No comments: